Android’s stock keyboard is somewhat basic in its functionality. If you are a power user who wants more from your Android keyboard, you can install one of the many feature-rich third party apps that are available in the Play Store. In this tutorial, I’ll show you how to install a new keyboard on Android in a few quick steps.
Installing a New Android Keyboard
- Open the Google Play app on your device.
- Search the term “keyboard” (using the Search bar at the top of the screen).
- Browse through the various paid and free keyboard apps. Remember to check out keyboard apps that are premium but have a free version that you can try out. You can also read the various user reviews to understand each of its merits and shortcomings.
- Once you find the app that suits your requirements, click Install. You will need to grant it the required permission to run. This can be quite an extensive list because the keyboard will interact with various aspects of your phone, so don’t be too alarmed.
- Next, you need to activate the installed app. Head over to your Settings and scroll down to the section on Language & input. Tap to open up the keyboard settings page.
- On this page, you will notice all the keyboard apps installed on your device. Tap on the recently downloaded keyboard to activate it. Then tap on the keyboard app again to accept its terms and conditions if any, and choose an input method. Some apps even allow you to sign in with Google for better predictive analysis, backup, syncing, inclusion of trending phrases on hot topics and so on. This of course will vary from one app to another. Just follow the instructions on-screen to set up your new keyboard app.
That’s it! Your keyboard app is now ready for use. If the app comes with a tutorial, run through it to better understand its features. You can follow the steps in this tutorial to download and play around with a few apps until you find one that perfectly fits your needs. Mind you, many of the custom keyboard apps are quite a bit to handle, but once you get used to it, you’ll be working your keyboard like a pro.